View Single Post
Old June 18 2009, 10:25 PM   #1859
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

Thirty Days (***)

This episode builds beautifully upon the previously well-defined love that Tom has for sailing ships and all things to do with the ocean. I can't believe it took them this long to do a story about it considering how much time they have spent talking about that part of his character in previous episodes.

Did I mention that I've taken up randomly lying?

The ocean planet is a cool concept, and there is clearly an underlying theme here about how governments are slow to react to impending ecological disaster and that leads to eco-terrorism. It's a mostly enjoyable episode and for once there really is consequences, Tom is demoted to ensign and he will stay that way for almost two years.

But I just wouldn't be myself if I didn't have some problem to complain about, and the truth is that I'm not wild about the flashback angle of the story. The main problem is that I would have liked to have seen Tom in the brig for a few episodes, but the flashbacks are used as a way of getting Tom's stay in the brig out of the way in one episode. Another problem I had was the giant eel attack. I realise that this episode was aired before Episode I was released, but seeing a giant fish thing attacking a submarine brings back bad memories.

Torpedoes: 39/38

They fired one torpedo in order to stop Tom, this show has officially jumped the shark!!!