View Single Post
Old June 18 2009, 01:35 PM   #11
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: Location of the Delphic Expanse

mythme wrote: View Post
Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
A theory I've heard, which I find quite convincing, puts the Expanse in the Alpha Quadrant. The "Star Charts" book places the edge of Federation space as it borders the Breen, Ferengi, Cardassians and Tzenkethi about 50 light years from Earth. At least the first three of these cultures were exploring space by the 22nd century, so why weren't they contacted until the 24th, when Starfleet had roamed far further than 50 lightyears for over a century beforehand? The answer: That way lay the former Delphic Expanse, and to avoid antagonizing the Xindi, the Federation gave the region a wide berth for a considerable time.
The reason I don't like this theory, as someone mentioned above, is that a Cardassian was living on Vulcan at this time and the Organians had studied the Cardies by the 22nd century. (Also the new Trek film mentions a Cardassian drink, which probably was around before the time alteration). Ferengi appeared in "Aquisiton". Also, according to Worf, Klingons once tried to invade Breen. This was in the time of the "second empire", which would denote before the rule of the High Council so, in other words, before Enterprise's time. This would be unlikely if the Expanse was in their way.
Just because Cardassian and Ferengi citizens were travelling past the Expanse doesn't mean the theory doesn't hold up. Some people were always going to explore beyond the expanse, I imagine. The odd visitation or casual contact between citizens is quite different from full-on contact between governments. I don't see why Cardassian and Ferengi activity in later-Federation space or nearby prior to official contact damages the theory. As for the Klingon mission to Breen space, we know that the fleet vanished without a trace. Everyone assumes it was the Breen, but what if it was the expanse? This might explain why the Klingons displayed such uncharacteristic fear of the place; anything that could humiliate them with the loss of a proud battlefleet would be a place to avoid. If anything, such contacts prior to official first contact make it even more odd that it took so long for Starfleet to explore 50 lightyears spinward. I believe "the former expanse was there" is a very good explanation.