View Single Post
Old June 17 2009, 08:16 AM   #8
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Re: WTF?! moment from "Vortex"

Navaros wrote: View Post
Things like this are just ridiculous plot contrivances that the writers never bothered to think through.
I wonder whether the writers should get all of the blame when something is this stupid. Sure, the writers may have been the first fools to put this idea down on paper. But almost anybody who read it should have recognized something was wrong.

In particular the actor who plays the character has a lot invested in whether fans perceive the character as somebody believably real or as the product of idiot writers. He should have taken one glance at a shooting script that had him getting hit on the head, losing consciousness, and groggily coming around in the runabout later on, and, if he has spent any time thinking about his character at all, should have said, “Wait a second. This is moronic. It makes no sense at all. There’s gotta be a better way to do this.” An impromptu brainstorming session with the actor, the director, a staff writer, a hairdresser, a caterer, and a tube grub would surely have produced a dozen ideas better than what made it to screen. Somebody at some point made the final creative decision, “This is really the way we’re going to do it.” Where does the buck stop?

I’ve never been on the set of one of these shows and don’t know much about what goes on behind the scenes and how the shows get made, but I have a hard time believing that a lazy writer putting a dumb idea on paper locks everybody else in to doing it that way.

Can somebody who understands how these shows are actually made explain who really deserves the blame for this kind of thing?
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote