View Single Post
Old June 13 2009, 06:14 AM   #18
Vasquez Rocks
Commodore

Re: Movies Seen in 2009

Star Trek - A- (Fun film)

Role Models - B+ (I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this. I really didn't think I'd like it, but it was really good. Especially loved the ending.)

X-Men Origins: Wolverine - B (This film felt off. Some really good scenes mixed with some mediocre ones. Hugh Jackman was awesome again in the role and I really liked Liev Schreiber.)

Norbit - B- (I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that I liked this movie. I heard so much bad stuff about it, but I found myself laughing. It was so goofy and silly, but it worked for me. I liked that Rasputia was totally unlikeable.)

The Fisher King - C+ (Not bad. Kind of weird at times and somewhat predictable, but entertaining.)

Lonesome Jim - B+ (Pretty good little indie flick. Similar in tone to Garden State and Elisabethtown. I've really been into these types of movies lately.)

The Miracle Match - C- (Forgettable sports movie. The actors did the best they could, but it was just too bland and boring. Surprisingly it came from the director and writer of Hoosiers and Rudy which I loved.)

Pineapple Express - B+ (Good comedy. Cool to see Franco and Rogen together again after Freaks and Geeks.)

Enemy Mine - B (I had fun revisiting this 80s sci fi movie after all these years. The alien make up was actually really good. I think they must have spent most of the budget on that cause everything else looked cheesy. The monster under the sand looked like it was from The Muppet Show. Still, the story was good. My favorite part was the stuff with the kid alien and Dennis Quaid.)

Be Kind Rewind - F (I rarely ever turn off movies, but I only made it through 40 minutes of this. I just couldn't take it anymore.)

Primer - C+ (This was probably one of the most confusing time travel films I've ever seen. The middle was really interesting, but by the end they had lost me. I'll probably watch it again to see if it makes more sense the second time around.)

Waitress - B (Nice little film. Rented it because Nathan Fillion was in it.)

Speed Racer - B (I really thought I was going to hate this, but it was actually pretty good.)

Cellular - C+ (Ridiculous plot, but somewhat entertaining.)

Sunshine - A (My favorite science fiction film of this decade.)

Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins - C (Totally predictable comedy. Not much laughs. I like the cast though.)

Drillbit Taylor - C- (Best part was the cameo by Adam Baldwin. The rest stunk.)

The Mummy (1932) - A- (First time seeing this and it was really good. Karloff's mummy makeup looked really cool. I had no idea what to expect, but the story was pretty interesting. Love these old Universal horror films.)

The Incredible Hulk - C (I'm probably in the minority, but I liked the Ang Lee movie much more than this. The battle between Hulk and Abomination at the end was pretty lame and I was close to turning it off a few times. I liked Ed Norton as Bruce Banner, but that was about it. Sam Elliot and Jennifer Connelly were way better than William Hurt and Liv Tyler.)

Raiders of the Lost Ark A+ (Classic film that I never get tired of.)

Vanilla Sky - B+ (What a weird film, but by the end it all made sense and I really liked it.)

Halloween remake - D (It took me two years but I finally broke down and watched this movie. It wasn't as horrendous as I thought it would be, but wow, what a mess. Right off the bat, the dialog was so over the top and ridiculous. I knew going in that they were going to make the Myers family white trash (which I hated), but this was way worst than I could have imagined. It was so laughably bad the way they spoke to each other. If it was toned down just a little it would have helped. The scenes in the sanitarium were my favorite parts and the kid playing Myers was really good. I would have loved to have seen the whole movie just focus on him. As soon as they switched to the adult Myers is where it all went down hill for me. The actress who played Laurie Strode was so bland and unmemorable. I was hoping Myers would kill her off which is the exact opposite feeling I had with the original. Danielle Harris would have done a much better job. They should have had them switch parts.)

The Wrestler - A (Great film.)

Slumdog Millionaire - A+ (Loved it.)

Mad Max - A
The Road Warrior - B+
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome - B+ (First time seeing all three of these and really enjoyed them. The first one is my favorite of the bunch.)

The Big Boss - B+ (Pretty good.)

Way of the Dragon - A (My second favorite Bruce Lee flick. Enter the Dragon is my fav.)

The Chinese Connection - A- (Awesome film.)

Game of Death II - C (I had no idea they made a sequel to the first one. It came with my box set. This was very cheesy, but entertaining. Interesting to see how they onece again splice in Bruce Lee.)
Vasquez Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote