View Single Post
Old June 5 2009, 05:07 PM   #19
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse
Re: Define Vulcan love. Sexual and Paternal.

JustKate wrote: View Post
Mr. Scott wrote: View Post
I haven't seen Star Trek 11, (I live in the Zhong Guo Federation and haven't seen it yet, hopefully I can see it next week) but I want to know if they expain this backstory.

http://www.trekcore.com/specials/rare/Sarek_Family.jpg

This crazy family................................

Does the movie explain how Serek and his wife met in the first place? What did she see in the man? Serek was a humorless fellow. Very Vulcan, very unemotional

Explain Vulcan sexuality as it is expalined in the series? I know about "Ponn Farr" where Vulcans go into mating season once every seven years, and that they have to go back to the person that they were bonded to (arranged marriage) to meet. I have always thought this was a retarded plotline, but how else can the writers explain sexuality in an unemotional species of people? How can a human like her get that handsome Vulcan into bed?

How can someone relate to an unemotional person. How does the unemotional person care about anyone else? If you are unemotional, you do not care about anything. Your family, your life or yourself. Maybe a fatalist worldview.

Then Serek in TNG marries a second human! I think that was a dumb device, maybe Serek should have married a Vulcan woman, maybe the woman that he was originally bonded to.
In the first place, as others have pointed out, Vulcans do experience emotions. Their mission, if I can call it that, is to make sure those emotions don't cloud their judgment or cause them to do things that should not be done...or not do things that should be done. I don't see anything incompatable with that and loving your spouse and kids.

In the second place, there is no evidence that Vulcans can have sex only during pon farr - they are driven to mate then, but they can presumably have sex anytime they want to, just like us humans. There is canonical evidence, both overt and implied, that this is so.

Finally, it's obvious to many present-day human females exactly what Amanda and Sarek's second wife saw in Sarek. Really. He's a very attractive man. So's Spock. Lots and lots and lots of female Trek fans preferred them to Kirk back in the day - and I was (and am) one of them. I think the network was kind of surprised by Sarek's and Spock's sexual appeal, actually.
Exactly. It's just easier to try and put the whole thing under lock and key than it is to deal with the emotions on a moment-to-moment basis, though Spock seems to prove that it's certainly possible for a Vulcan to live like that.

As for Spock/Sarek, I actually had no idea Sarek had the sex symbol thing going as well.

Even in the new movie? Really?
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote