View Single Post
Old June 4 2009, 05:27 AM   #13
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via AIM to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzo the Fifth
Re: Romulus in Prime timeline [spoilers]

FalTorPan wrote: View Post
startrekwatcher wrote: View Post
I have no objection to the destruction of Romulus. My problem was that it was treated simply as a means to an end. I guess Abrams point of view is that the film isn't about the prime universe but this new rebooted one so very little focus should be given it--so most non-fans would care less.
After their great re-introduction in TNG's "The Neutral Zone," helped in large part by Andrew Probert's incredibly cool Warbird ship design, the Romulans quickly devolved into generic, black hat-wearing, bad-for-badness sake villains. Few species of the 1.0 universe's 24th century interested me less than the Romulans did.
Indeed... The Romulans as a story race had an ongoing identity crisis, as the Klingons filled the role of the 'warrior' race. For a while, the Romulans tended to be masters of spycraft, subterfuge, and indirect warfare... then the Cardassians came along and did it FAR better, leaving them with little to no niche left to inhabit, except as the Alpha Quadrant's resident contrarian race... which, frankly, made them predictable and boring...
Bonzo the Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote