Star Trek magazine Movie Issue question

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Reanok, May 23, 2009.

1. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finally got my magazine in the mail yesterday. And I really liked the interviews with the new Tos crew.

2. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

My post office must've heard me yelling, because whaddaya know? It was in the mailbox when I got home yesterday. :D

3. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Paul, are you aware that the Daily Mirror GAVE AWAY the movie special the day the film came out with their newspaper? I think a coupon had to be redeemed at selected outlets.

I was soooooo mad when I saw that.

4. PaulSimpson

PaulSimpson Writer/Editor Captain

Believe you me, I know all about the Sunday Mirror special. It WASN'T the movie souvenir issue at all - it was a specially created 16 page special that featured some of the interviews I did with the cast in the period leading up to the movie. Chris, Simon and Leonard's interviews were slightly updated and were completely relaid out by designer Dan Bura with photos from the movie - but they were NOT the interviews contained in the special. We were hardly going to let a £2 newspaper give away a £5 magazine!!!

There was no coupon - it was a giveaway with the paper. It did achieve the accolade of highest selling Star Trek magazine certainly in the UK - 1.6 million copies!

Paul

5. BrotherBenny

Cheeky devils! :devil:

6. PaulSimpson

Eh? what was cheeky about it? It was a Titan production which was distributed by the Sunday Mirror...

7. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Did you have a hand in any of the other freebies with the newspapers as I'm sure the Guardian or Observer had one the weekend before.

8. PaulSimpson

I seemed to be fielding interviews for most of the month beforehand - certainly The Independent and The Independent on Sunday, and a load of BBC radio stations!

9. BrotherBenny

I didn't know it was a Titan production - is that like a Quinn Martin production? ;)

The British press certainly gave the movie some publicity - and it's made plenty of money so I'm hoping for sequels - and more magazine.

10. PaulSimpson

The damn great Titan logo on the cover was a bit of a giveaway ;)

I'm not quite as devastatingly handsome as Frank Cannon or Mike Stone (and doesn't that just give away my age!) but it's sort of like a Quinn Martin production... ish...

11. BrotherBenny

Hey, you could always have watched the reruns, like me.

12. PaulSimpson

In Britain?????

13. BrotherBenny

I watched the reruns when they were shown on cable in the late nineties, on Bravo before it underwent its weird change, and some other channels which have disappeared. I watched Cannon and The Invaders and other 70s and 80s shows too (not all QM shows obviously).

14. BrentMc

BrentMc Commander Red Shirt

I finally got mine the other day. Not too beat up either. Great issue! I am also looking forward to the next issue about the villains. I am hoping that another future issue may be about the Ships and other technology in the new film. keep up the good work!

15. PaulSimpson

We've got an interview in the pipeline with Roger Guyett, the ILM Supervisor on the movie and with the props guys, so hopefully we'll have stuff that you like...

16. BrotherBenny

Does that include Red Matter? ;)

17. PaulSimpson

Yes, every issue of the magazine will include its own supply of Red Matter so you can annihilate all lifeforms in your immediate vicinity. Warp cores to close them not included, use at your own risk, void where prohibited by law...

18. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Tip some into the red ink! My brother has that cool Marvel comic containing actual KISS band-members' blood!

(Can you imagine the outrage that stunt would cause today?)

19. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Please, please tell me Therin is inhabiting his own bizarre personal make-believe world, for whatever reason, and that there were never promotional comics with blood in them. I've had a long day, and it's all getting increasingly surreal...

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

God, I hope so.