Thread: Stephen King
View Single Post
Old June 3 2009, 08:36 AM   #30
Hunter X
Rear Admiral

Re: Stephen King

byron lomax wrote: View Post
I've read a lot of criticism for From a Buick 8, and I agree the novel is a little frustrating in its lack of explanation, but some parts of the book really, really creeped me out. The descriptions of those undescribable creatures who emerge from the buick really made my flesh crawl.
See, the only King books I've read are the first two Dark Towers, On Writing and From a Buick 8. I've seen complaints about the lack of explanation in the latter before, and I don't get it. I mean, it's the entire point of the book. The boy is dealing with his father's death, not understanding why it had to happen. And there's this crazy car that his dad used to be obsessed with figuring out the mystery of, but there is no explanation. Sometimes things just happen where we never find out the why. If the book had explained where the car came from or why it did what it did, then the book would be just another horror story about a creepy car. I like that King actually tackled the theme of the unexplanable experiences of human life. Maybe it's not as good as some of his other books...I can't really speak to that.
Hunter X is offline   Reply With Quote