View Single Post
Old June 2 2009, 08:45 PM   #68
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: That's not MY ship...!

Tharpdevenport wrote: View Post
You know, I never hated any Federation ship until First Contact. I hated the new Enterprise E, and hated ALL the new little ships that battled the Borg cube.
I read originally the new Enterprise E was going to be larger than D and look different, but for some reason (which I can't recall; may budget, time restraints, etc) they went with smaller and sleaker.

The last new Federation ship I liked was the alternate timeline U.S.S. Pasteur from "All Good Things..." (was disappointed when Playmates didn't release a toy for it).

All these years later after all the Trek shows have ended, my feelings have not change. I nfact I hate the Enterprise E even more now than before. And the Defiant. In fact, I don't think I can name liking any alien ships after TNG either.

But I did like the fake Starfleet ship from Voyager's "Hope and Fear".

Thing is, no matter the ship -- Enterprise, Enterprise A, Excelsior, Enterprise D -- all the ships had this sort of "look" to them. They felt Federation, they looked majestic in their own way. The Defiant, Enterprise E, Voyager, all looked and felt cheap and showy.
While I can't completely agree with your opinion, I definitely understand where you're coming from.

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Praetor wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
On that note, I like the design of the Akira class a lot, but whoever came up with the idea of putting all those torpedo launchers on it needs to be smacked upside the head.
Sadly, the designer and the torpedo-equipper were one in the same, none other than Alex Jaeger.
Well, Alex Jaeger needs to be smacked upside the head.
Maybe open-palmed?

He also gave us all those other nifty FC ships. He may have even put the Millennium Falcon in there himself.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote