View Single Post
Old May 31 2009, 03:26 AM   #539
thedude
Lieutenant Commander

Re: TNG fans please identify yourselves ...

Hey everyone... I just found TrekBBS today (I don't know how I didn't sooner, considering I've had trektoday.com bookmaked for... 5 years?) and thought I'd chime in on this thread... sorry if my story is a little long, never really been able to tell it before to anyone who cared...

Anyway, I'm thedude, aka Lance... I'm 26, and a guy. Been into Trek since I was about 5 or 6, right about when TNG debuted. I was living in western Pennsylvania at the time, and happened to be at a friends house who was far more obsessed than anyone else at that age... he had all the action figures, models, technical diagrams... you name it, he had it. We used to wander around the woods outside his house having "away missions." Good times.

Anyway, I was pretty obsessed all through childhood... even to the point where when I was 10 or so I went to get my hair cut and told the stylist I wanted my hair cut like Dr. McCoy (I even brought a star trek comic book with, just in case). I remember going to see ST6 with my dad in the theater and I didn't shut up about it for at least a week...

As I got older it got kind of tough to let my true obsession show through. I remember in 5th grade I wore one (yes I had multiple) of my Trek uniforms to school on Halloween... I caught a lot of crap from other kids and really never spoke up about it again. After that my interested wained just a little bit, that was until I was about 12 and I discovered AOL and "simming." That pretty much took it overboard... being able to play the role of someone in Trek and "live" on a starship. That lasted until about High School, when I found girls, and Trek kind of took a back seat...

When TNG hit Spike TV (I think it was still TNN at the time) things picked back up for me. I remember watching the TNG marathon in my dorm room at Illinois State for like 2 days straight... a lot of great memories came back and my interest really spiked again (thanks to Spike TV, haha).

Once all the series hit DVD I made sure to get them all. I remember driving to Wal Mart at midnight when the next TNG or DS9 season would come up. I added it up once, and I'm pretty sure I could buy a decent used car with all the money I spent on Trek DVD's... but I promise I've had more smiles watching the shows that I would of had in a car, well... I guess it depends who I'm in the car with.

Anyway, I still watch Trek all the time. I had really bad insomnia at the end of my college career, and didn't respond to any sleeping pills of anxiety meds... so I started watching Trek before bed, and it was just so comforting that it made me content and I fell asleep. So for the past 6 or 7 years I've been continually watching the shows... every episode of every season, one or two before bed almost every night...

I'm now the sales and marketing manager for software company, working on million dollar deals all the time and glad handing the captains of industry... but every night, no matter what, I lose myself in some Trek and the world is immediately better. What an incredible thing it is, and what a great effect it's had on me.
thedude is offline   Reply With Quote