View Single Post
Old May 30 2009, 08:02 PM   #66
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee
Re: DS9 Versus: A viewing experient

I've a feeling this Descent-Homecoming thing is going to haunt me like a game-changing call haunts a ref.

Week 3: (Ending 10.10.93)
TNG: Interface (Airdate 10.04.93)
DS9: The Siege (Airdate 10.10.03)

Alright, something doesn't sit right with me in both these episodes. Allow me to clarify:

Interface: killing Geordie's mother seems gratuitous and out of the blue, but hey, at least there's some good potential character stuff here, right? Er, instead we have an obsessive and downright irritable LaForge tied to a Clever Gimmick (See! Geordie with normal eyes.). There's at least some heart to this episode, but despite losing The Mother The Audience Doesn't Have Any Connection To, we still don't learn anything new about LaForge. Maybe that wasn't the point to the episode, but it feels like a waste for us to not have learned more of him other than what we already know (he's blind, is the Chief Engineer, and seems to be hapless with the ladies). Why else would you kill off a main character's mother otherwise?

The Siege: Really, what was the point of the siege? As much as I enjoy the Circle Trilogy, all the stuff that occurs on the station seems like pointless filler (aside from some good stuff involving Nalas, Sisko, and Krim). The crux of this episode is in delivering the evidence to Bajor, and the Kira-Dax stuff is good fun. Sisko and co. didn't really have to stay behind for those two to carry out their mission, and they'd be invited right back once the evidence was confirmed. I guess the writers wanted to show Sisko was willing to bend the rules and fight for what he believed was right? If that was the case, at least he came away from this with more character development.

Okay, rants off. Two episodes with heart, but both with a feeling that there's something major missing. Still, DS9 is the obvious winner, and not just because it's the one with thrills, spills, and grillz (?); rather, for the simple fact it's an Event Episode, plus a Payoff Episode.

I don't think TNG is liking the fact it's getting knocked around so easily by this kid right now, so it's coming out with the Big Guns next week, the first of a two-parter! Dun dun dun...

Weekly Winner:
DS9

Next:
TNG - Gambit, Part I
DS9 - Invasive Procedures