Thread: Similitude
View Single Post
Old May 30 2009, 12:17 AM   #22
HopefulRomantic
Phloxist moderator

Re: Similitude

Penguin wrote: View Post
But the things in the episode that bothered me.

Like sim walkig down a hall about 20 years old and we hear that he is very popular with the crew. HOw. The crew would not have known him. first day a Baby, second day a child, third day an adolescent ( am fairly ceertain that Phlox did not drag sim around the ship those thre days.
It wasn't established in the episode that Phlox kept Sim sequestered in sickbay, taking his meals in secret. Hoshi was in sickbay to read to him; there might have been others who came to ask about Trip, and met Sim in the process. Phlox struck me as a caring father who seemed intent on giving the boy a good life, which would probably include exercise, stimulating environments, playtime, and socialization. In a deleted scene, Archer found young (12 year old) Sim playing with Porthos, so the kid had a companion to play with.

If the boy made a good impression whenever he met someone, in the mess hall or playing with the dog or learning about the ship--if he were personable, polite, interested in the world of the ship--it's very credible to me that he would be "adopted" by the crew as one of their own.

If the crew had been told that Sim was here to save Commander Tucker's life, and afterward Sim would live out the rest of his natural lifespan of only two weeks...the crew could, of course, avoid the kid because he'd be out from underfoot in a couple weeks. Or they might seek him out and befriend him, because of why he was here, and because he wouldn't be here for long. The script seems to indicate that the crew chose to embrace him.

so day four sim is a Teen apparently spendig rthe cday in sickbay taking apart and putting together equipment.
That scene took place in the mess hall, not sickbay. Phlox said Sim spent "this morning" taking apart his medical tricorder.

Same with T-Pol. Sim would have only had face time with her on day five and day six and that probably would have been off and on maybe totaling hree or four hours total.
By the time we first see the 17-year-oldish Sim, Archer has already assigned him to engineering, and he has been working there with T'Pol for an unspecified time. With the repair of the engines a top priority, it's possible that he worked with her from dawn to dusk (so to speak). By the time Sim tells her she's all he thinks about, they could have spent many hours together.

How could sim say that he had feelings for a woman he was barely aquainted with and she him.
JiNX has already addressed this, but there's also the possibility of "love at first sight"...or in this case, a couple-three days. It does happen to people. I knew only two hours after meeting my future husband that he was very, very special.

If you don't buy the episode, you don't buy it. But it worked for me.