View Single Post
Old May 29 2009, 10:51 PM   #1489
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

The Killing Game, Part 1 (*)

There is a good reason why TNG and DS9 are my two favourite Trek series; they're the only ones that don't feature space nazis.

First problem with the episode; the Hirogen capture the ship OFF-SCREEN! That is unbelievably annoying. But my biggest problem with the episode is how everything is so contrived in order to get the story to work at all. The Hirogen somehow learn about the holodecks and decide to use them to hunt Voyager's crew and apparently they have a magic device which causes the crew to think they are in Nazi occupied France, and the holodecks have been extended across multiple decks in order to fit everybody, and holo-emitters have been placed all over the ship... It doesn't matter how unrealistically stupid a plot-point is, if it helps the writers get where they are going then they'll shove it in.

I'd say that there is a good idea underlying this episode, the idea that the Hirogen must evolve past hunting in order to survive, but I honestly think that this is just an excuse for space nazis. And I'm sure there will be some people who will enjoy this episode for the "fun" action, but I find the situation so outlandish that I just cannot get into it.

I had intended to watch both episodes in one sitting, but the the end of the first hour I couldn't take any more so I'll come back to it in a day or two.