Thread: 3D Software?
View Single Post
Old May 28 2009, 11:48 PM   #150
USS Jack Riley
Captain

Re: 3D Software?

Okay, my wife is a teacher and her school is spending about $200,000 in updating the school's computers. As an incentive, the company is offering an interesting opportunity to obtain free software, including 3D programming software. The IT guy knows I am interested in this type of stuff, but is not knowledgeable about the different pros and cons of the various programs.

I have Blender, but I haven't fiddled with it. At all. Family and kids getting in the way, but I am starting to get some free time at night. Mind you I am a complete novice and will need plenty of manuals or other tutorials to assist. I always built plastic models, not computer generated graphics.

Given my lack of skill (I am relatively quick on the pick up, but need to have manuals/tutorials that teach the ins and outs with pictures - Dummy Guides don't work for me) what do you suggest as an alternative?

The list I have culled from this posting is as follows (I may not be able to obtain all of them, or it might be earlier versions):

Lightwave

Maya

Poser

trueSpace

3ds Max

C4D (Cinema 4D?)

3D Max (is this the same as 3ds Max?)

CAD Autodesk

Shake

Combustion

After Effects

So what do you think? Suggestions? Bueller? Bueller?

"Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
Imagineer's Answer: Does it have to have a light bulb?"
USS Jack Riley is offline   Reply With Quote