View Single Post
Old May 28 2009, 11:32 AM   #191
Tino
Captain

Re: Titan: Over a Torrent Sea (SPOILERS)

Christopher wrote: View Post
As for the lack of drama in the early chapters, that's kind of what I wanted, in a way. (...) I wanted this one to be a change of pace, a more relaxed and laid-back tale. I wanted the characters (...) go to an interesting new place and tackle its scientific mysteries for a while before anything really dangerous happened.
Worked great for me! I loved the first hundred pages because the characters were exploring, guessing and solving little puzzles. Reminded me of the first chapters of "Orion's Hounds" which I also loved because of the feeling of exploration.

Personally, I'm sick of Star Trek saying "we're explorers" but we always get thrown into action-adventures. There have been very few truly exploration-episodes and thus I'm ever so grateful for Christopher's TITAN-novels! :-)

Christopher wrote: View Post
As far as your comprehension goes, I'm in no position to judge that.
Not being a native speaker, I didn't understand all of those fish names and fish descriptions. But since grabbing a dictionary every ten seconds (when Christopher writes detailed pages about the sea life) isn't my idea of enjoying a book, I could live with the general feeling of "hey, that seems unusual but exciting".

And for the first time, I enjoyed all those alien characters on the ship. Now reading "Full Circle", I'm kinda bored that so many main characters aren't as alien as in TITAN.
Tino is offline   Reply With Quote