View Single Post
Old May 27 2009, 01:18 AM   #1455
Rear Admiral
Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

Hunters (***)

For the most part I really enjoyed this episode but it started to lose me towards the end. The story taking place on Voyager as they receive letters from home is very good and nearly all these scenes worked for me, from Janeway's dear John, to Tuvok learning he is a grandfather, to Chakotay and B'Elanna learning about what happened to the Maquis. Even Harry gets some stuff to do. This is a true ensemble episode and all the characters were utilised as people rather than officers.

The problems begin when the Hirogen show up. I don't dislike the Hirogen as an idea, but in this episode they didn't come across as all that threatening, the way they walked and the way they talked made them seem goofy. I had a hard time taking them seriously as a threat. The second problem is the final confrontation involving the Hirogen ships because it descends into a technobabble nightmare. Destroying the relay station in order to create a black hole to destroy the attacking ships is a cool concept, but having the characters shouting "Reroute all secondary power to the tractor emitters" or "Open the anti-matter injectors to one hundred twenty percent" is not exciting.

If they had worked a little more on the ending then this could have a a four and a half star episode, it's a pity that's not the case.

There was a shuttle. *bites lower lip*
__________________ many different suns...

"No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away." - The immortal Terry Pratchett
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote