View Single Post
Old May 26 2009, 06:42 PM   #45
Thrall
Commodore

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Remake... Without Joss

True enough. Tim Minear provided much the same service for Firefly.
Funny thing is Minear and Greenwalt were the show runners of Angel. Whedon had almost no influence there until season 5. Which is one of the reasons I find season 5 to be kind of weak. Greenwalts influence was gone and the show started to go the way of Buffy. It was becoming completely nihilistic and all about Spike. It wasn't until they got word of non-renewal that they got their heads out of their asses and started to bring focus and purpose back to the show. Even Whedon admited this.

I'm fairly sure Marti Noxon was heavily involved with those two years. Especially since Joss was developing and running Firefly at that time. In fact, now that I think about it, season 7 started really going downhill right around the time Firefly was canceled. Hmm.
Marti Noxon is a stupid, degenerate bitch. That's not even open for debate. But Whedon enthusiatically supported every decision she made so the buck stops with him. And Firefly aired during Buffy season 6 not 7. Joss was head honcho for that one. Season 6 had some redeeming qualities. Not many but a few. Season 7 didn't have any as far as I can tell.

The last two seasons of Buffy did have some issues, certainly. But Angel's final year was great---it doesn't deserve to be lumped in with the others.
I clearly recognize I'm in the minority on that one.