View Single Post
Old May 23 2009, 04:03 PM   #1996
drmick
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Ovation wrote: View Post
drmick wrote: View Post
With that straw poll, I'm not sure what this film has actually achieved other than pissing off the die-hards, bringing in the casuals, and not making any difference to the haters.

And it annoys me that TNG and DS9 have been essentially wiped from existence, but the woeful Enterprise is left intact.
Stick around and you'll find that most "die-hards" (I consider anyone who has watched all iterations of Trek multiple times, particularly if they've been watching it since the 70s (or before) to be "die-hards) actually quite enjoyed the movie (I'm one of them, BTW--been watching since 1973). And the story on screen quite clearly shows that neither TNG nor DS9 have been "wiped from existence". The new timeline is parallel to, not overwriting, the "prime timeline".

I will not try to dissuade you from your dislike of the film (you are free to like or dislike it as you wish) but do not assume that only "casuals" like the film (not true) and that all of TNG etc. is "overwritten" (also not true).
I'm aware of the alternate reality thing. But in JJ's Star Trek reality they have been removed from future existence (although a TNG era mirror universe style alternate reality story would be interesting with the TNG/DS9 cast).

Is there a thread where those who didn't like it can congregate? Because right now I feel like I'm the last Trekkie in an Invasion of the Bodysnatchers type conspiracy.
drmick is offline   Reply With Quote