View Single Post
Old May 22 2009, 04:46 PM   #25
garamet
Writer

Re: Spock's full name

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Having met DC Fontana, and having discussed this stuff (briefly) with her, my impression was that the only concocting was in her cleverness to word the scripts so that people could take multiple meanings from her words. Worldbuilding without actually building the world - surely the most intriguing type of storytelling.

TOS was rich with this type of stuff. Hence all the "fanon" interpretations of everything over four decades!
And I for one love reading that kind of thing, in any universe. I've been known to laugh out loud and mutter "Oh, you clever s.o.b.!" when I come across something like that in anyone's work.

There's another facet to it, and I don't know if other writers experience the same thing, but sometimes the character *won't tell you*. You can cajole, you can threaten, and they stonewall you. You can say "Okay, fine, be that way. I'll just put down the name *I* like." And you put it on the page, and you know it's wrong. So you sigh and delete it and the character gets to keep the secret.

Happens with plot points, too. I think a scene is going *this* way, and it veers off at the last minute and goes *that* way. It's particularly challenging when you get to the final scene and your plan was to wrap it up and state unequivocally "...and they all lived happily ever after." Instead, you find yourself typing "...and we can hope that they all lived happily ever after, but once you turn the page, we have no idea, do we?"

- Isaac Asimov (Newsweek, 1980)

garamet is offline   Reply With Quote