Thanks for all your input. I wish I could be as chill about this as you guys are, and I know that this is such a trivial thing to get so worked up over, but it bothers me regardless.
I'll try listing some reasons why these people bother me so much, maybe you can tell me where I'm wrong?
- They don't know what it's like to be called a nerd or geek and teased for liking Star Trek because it's more popular now.
- Star Trek fans are usually more free-thinkers (at least as far as the ones I've encountered go) and these people...are mostly the follow-the-trends-of-society kind of people.
- There are a lot of slobbery teenage fangirls (usually for anime) at my school. Many of these people are the ones I'm so annoyed with.
- This new movie doesn't even actually follow the timeline and is more like Star Wars than Star Trek, in my opinion. I like it a lot, but it's really very different from the rest of the Trek universe.
- I seem to attract these kinds of people for some reason. They didn't bother me at first, it just that I keep encountering them.
- I kind of had a problem with other teenage Trek fans before the movie, and now the population has exploded.
Hm. I'll bet most of these people lose interest when they either start trying to watch the series and realize it's not as exciting as the movie, or when the next big summer movie comes out. I think that is part of the reason too though - they're claiming to be Trekkies when they probably won't even care about it in a few months. I know I need to just ride this out, but I'm easily annoyed by other people in general, and other people are hard to ignore when there's 6 billion of them on the planet.
I know how you feel, I've been thinking about this question ever since I saw the new movie.
It annoys me that the bullies that tormented me for being nerdy and liked star trek in my youth are now all fans of trek.
I do believe its those loyal fans that endured the ridicules, kept trek alive long enough to have this "cooler" new version made for the masses. And now star trek is cool, those old loyal fans are being ridiculed again for being too nerdy and trying to hold on to the old school trek.
For those new fans that like the movie and now call themself fans, this is only a pass fad for them. Most of them will not stay.
I believe for those that claim to be hardcore fans, "trekkies" as they call themselfs. They certainly do know their cannon and all that. But they never did buy into the grander ideals of trek. That is why it is so easy for them to like this new movie. Those fans in my opinion liked trek for all the cosmetic reasons, and not the heart and soul of it.