View Single Post
Old May 21 2009, 03:27 AM   #50
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
That being said: This is their chance to make phaser effects that make sense. As we all know, when we saw a phaser fired on that show, the beam actually took a visible amount of time to reach its target. This should not happen. These are beams of light, after all. They should be instant. The only time I ever remember this actually being done right, was in Voyager's "Future's End" when somebody fires a 29th century phaser. It *immediately* took out its target. The beam appeared between the phaser and the target without any sense of taking any time to reach it. It was near instantaneous. As all phaser beams should be.
That's making a science-minded assumption about the beam, which is a pretty big leap considering how unscientific trek is becoming (especially recently.)

By way of comparison, I remember getting in an argument with somebody about the guys in SW being able to block laser beams with a light saber, saying it doesn't matter how force-ful his parrying is, he doesn't move at lightspeed. The counterargument (the main one, there were many, including the notion that Luke can use the force to see into the future to know where to stick his sword) was that the beams weren't traveling at lightspeed. HUH? They're BEAMS! They canna travel any slower.

If that's the level of science that informs most SW, and by extension, most current TREK, then the beams will probably be able to bend around corners by the next sequel.

The slow beams DO bother me as well (esp in CONSPIRACY), but there are so many other things that seem like bigger deals (the many early TNG planets that look like out of focus blobs, the no-blur of ship movement in many early shows, esp with the 2 fter model), that the phaser speed seems miniscule by comparison. If I had a huge caveat, it would be the fireballs in space that showed up from FARPOINT onward. Fireballs in space just don't track, that is serious SW territory (and another example of how moderntrek is getting the science worse ... for the director's edition of TMP they added a fireball to the rock blowing up at the end of the wormhole.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote