View Single Post
Old May 21 2009, 01:50 AM   #23
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Re: Your definition of a real 'Trekkie'?

I'll try to address some of your points, explodingmuffin.

explodingmuffin wrote: View Post
They don't know what it's like to be called a nerd or geek and teased for liking Star Trek because it's more popular now.
Well, that's actually a good thing. Being bullied for liking a TV show is pretty stupid. I never got teased for liking Trek, either, because there isn't as much of a stigma attached to it in my country.

Star Trek fans are usually more free-thinkers (at least as far as the ones I've encountered go) and these people...are mostly the follow-the-trends-of-society kind of people.
I'd like to believe that this is true, but I don't think it is. All sorts of different people are fans of Star Trek. They're not better or worse than the rest of the world.

- There are a lot of slobbery teenage fangirls (usually for anime) at my school. Many of these people are the ones I'm so annoyed with.
- I seem to attract these kinds of people for some reason. They didn't bother me at first, it just that I keep encountering them.
- I kind of had a problem with other teenage Trek fans before the movie, and now the population has exploded.
Those seem to be rather personal reasons I can't really comment on. If you don't like those people, ignore them. You're not obliged to like someone just because he also likes Star Trek.
Count Zero is offline   Reply With Quote