View Single Post
Old May 20 2009, 04:19 AM   #68
DFScott
Captain

View DFScott's Twitter Profile
Re: Could we Trekkers have saved the Trek XI script? [SPOILERS]

Moving forward with the re-composition idea: Rather than have Nero and his crew wait around and do nothing for a quarter-century (something I've never known a bad guy to do before), he makes it his mission to build up Romulus so that it can overcome the cataclysm that awaits it in the future. In events we don't have to see in the film to know or to infer they've taken place, we learn that Nero blames the Federation for the events of the future, equates the Federation's rise to power with the supernova that absorbs Romulus, and is dead certain it's all a conspiracy. As someone who has the most powerful dark matter mining device anyone's ever seen (and that's how I'd recast the Narada), he amasses somewhat of a following among his people.

But in keeping with the idea that no Federation member has ever seen a Romulan yet (are you out there, Anticitizen?), Nero's strategy is to maintain stealth -- to attack the Federation in bits and pieces and never to reveal the Romulan identity, in order to instill and maintain maximum fear.

So when Old Spock finally makes it through the wormhole, there's an entire armada waiting for him. He doesn't have much of a chance, but he also surmises that if he identifies himself specifically in his distress signal, he could place the entire timeline of history in jeopardy -- since his younger self still exists.

Now, the part I'm debating at this point is how Old Spock reacts. In the current film, only the Narada is present to welcome Old Spock, and we don't know what actually happens to Old Spock until we run into him again on Delta Vega. If we continue to have Old Spock just surrender, then it might still make sense to leave that fact unstated until later, just as the film did. But I just can't imagine Old Spock just giving in; if he's thinking logically, he'd surmise (for the nonce) that any direct contact he makes with people in this timeline might jeopardize everything and everyone. He might even try self-destruct to avoid that possibility, thinking of "the needs of the many." Of course, if Old Spock does something heroic, we'd want to see it, which might keep us trapped in this scene longer than we have time and celluloid for. So what would he do? I'm still playing with this.

DF "I Don't Believe in a No-win Scenario" Scott