View Single Post
Old May 19 2009, 12:49 AM   #1347
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

kimc wrote: View Post
But "beating the odds" is supposed to be a Trek captain staple!
Perhaps.

Year of Hell, Part 1 (****)

I know what some of you are probably thinking, I like this episode because the ship gets blowed up real good. Well that is only part of it, I also happen to like the story because I don't remember Trek doing a time-travel episode of this type before and it is a good story. Watching history change with a big shockwave is fun.

My main issue with this episode is that it is doomed to be a reset-button ending, the fact that the story focuses on a history-altering ship assures it. After the first part originally aired on TV a friend of mine read a magazine which explained how the second part would end and tried to taunt me with it, but I said "Let me guess, Voyager rams into the time-ship and the whole thing never happened" and he gave me a semi-shocked look. So there you have it, the Voyager writers were working on the same wave-lenght as a 12 year old.

The other problem I have is the ending where the crew splits up because I don't understand why. The Krenim Imperium has been made weak by the last time-wave and Voyager's main concern is to get as far away from Red Foreman's time-ship as they possibly can, so why bother sending the crew away in escape pods which surely would only have thrusters? It barely made sense earlier in the episode, it makes absolutely no sense here.

A fun episode, one which shows a Voyager we would never get properly acquainted with, you just have to stave off that nagging voice in the back of your head which warns you that none of this is going to make a damn bit of difference.

Last edited by TheGodBen; May 19 2009 at 09:36 PM.
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote