View Single Post
Old May 18 2009, 01:21 AM   #37
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Star Trek Enterprise master

Cyrus wrote: View Post
Enterprise was always in HD so no extra effort or money needed there, the visual effects were rendered at HD from the start.
Wrong.

Millimeter magazine March 2002 issue article titled: "Effective HD Effects"
Ron Moore Enterprise's visual-effects supervisor tells of the show being mastered in 24p HD format. He hoped the team would be in a position to build a pipeline by next season [season 2] to post a show entirely within a 24p HD pipeline.
'Initially however, the HD requirement came before there was any logisitical or financial possibility of ramping up all the show's visual-effects facilities to work exclusively in the 24p world.'
"The obvious problem is paying for it," says Moore. "The cool thing is Paramount is letting us create a high-def master and is airing the show letterbox. The disappointment right now, is that the visual effects are still up-rezzed. Occasionally, we will create an element in HD. This shot has a lot of aliasing and other artifacts we can see at 601 standard def
[ITU-R Recommendation BT.601, more commonly known by the abbreviations Rec. 601 or BT.601 (or its former name, CCIR 601,)
The Rec. 601 signal can be regarded as if it is a digitally encoded analog component video signal.]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_digital_video ]

so I went back to the CG house and they gave it to me in high-def. We'll find a way to put it directly onto the final [online] tape, which is a much better way to go. Unfortunately, it isn't feasible to do that with all our shots right now."
Season 1 the visual effects were mostly rendered in standard definition and uprezzed to HD.

if you wish to continue a discussion of remastering 'Enterprise' for HD syndication and Blu-ray please go here to this most relevant thread:
'Star Trek: Enterprise seasons Blu-ray spec. features wishlist'
http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=92792

If you wish to continue discussion of TNG series remastering be my guest.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote