View Single Post
Old May 16 2009, 04:02 AM   #6
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: Star Trek [TOS] is Cheesy!

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
Trekker4747, I agree with almost everything you just said. People who don't give TOS a chance because of the production values really don't know what they're missing. This series is far more than the special effects, sets, props and costumes. Personally, I love the production values of Star Trek. The aesthetic of the series is an aspect that makes me love TOS even more. However, deep down inside I know it's really about the stories and the characters. So, claiming to not being able to watch series because it 'looks cheap' is rather superficial.

Having said that, there's also nothing wrong with enjoying episodes because of the cheese factor. I know this opinion is somewhat frowned upon around here, but I love episodes like The Way to Eden because inside of me they evoke a certain emotionalism with their cheesiness.
Oh no, I agree. I like a lot of the "cheese" too. It give the show some of its charm.

But in between a lot of that cheese is a lot of good substance that people too easly dismiss because all they see is the "cheese."