View Single Post
Old May 14 2009, 02:14 PM   #30
Trekarama
Lieutenant

Re: What Star Trek toys did you grow up playing with?

I was lucky my dad was a big Trek fan. Being a child of the late sixties and early 70's I was fortunate enough to be exposed to some of the earliest Star Trek merchandise. I'm not even sure if some of it was even legally licensed back then. I had 3 felt like tunics (Red, Gold, Blue) with embroidered StarFleet emblems. I had an away team play set consisting of a belt, phaser, communicator and tricorder. I had the Power Records Star Trek comic book/album combos. I had most of the Megos along with the Enterprise bridge.I thought the transporter was the coolest! I had the Communicator walkie-talkies, several of the AMT models, the electronic Phaser Battle game. I had a goof run of the Gold Key comics.

My favorite toy by far was a tabletop Electronic Starship Battle game. I don't remember the exact name, but it was a black box with a recessed screen, and led graphics. The screen was basically the Enterprises' main console screen. You pressed a button to fire upon enemy ships as they appeared on the screen. If I remember correctly there were some Klingon, Romulan ships, as well as some others I don't remember. This must have been released sometime between 1976 and late 1977.

All of my toys were exremely well played with. Almost all have been lost due to attrition, trading and moving. The thought of saving or collecting never crossed my mind back then. They were made to be enjoyed and shared with friends. In my mid-twenties I started buying some of the old pieces again, but stopped after only a few. I found that my memories far outshined the actual toy itself. The early 70's was a great time to be a kid and a Trek fan!

Enjoy!
Trekarama is offline   Reply With Quote