View Single Post
Old May 13 2009, 12:05 PM   #45
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee
Re: DS9 Versus: A viewing experient

My hockey team's out of the playoffs. Finally got seeing the new Trek flick out of the way. Guess it's time to get back to Versus!

Week 18
: (Ending 05.09.93)
TNG: Frame Of Mind (Airdate 05.03.93)
DS9: Progress (Airdate 05.09.93)

It's a battle of the Number Ones this week!

Riker's put quite through the psychological wringer here, and the episode does a great job of ratcheting up the tension with bizarre twists, constantly keeping you guessing how it all pans out. Heck, even after all these years, I'm still left guessing what comes next. Remarkably, the plot and pacing never falls off the rails (er, even if Riker's means of escape seemed rather... convienient). While not a 'classic' episode, it's definitely a strong thriller.

Progress, on the other hand, at first seems like 'Another Bajoran Episode'. It's definitely a quiet one -you wouldn't think it would rate as highly as Frame Of Mind from the first couple of acts. Yet, the drama surrounding Kira's dilema is incredibly compelling, because it's a situation we all can relate to, and would have a hard time resolving if we were put into a similar circumstance. The Jake/Nog stuff is lightweight fluff in comparison, but amusing nonetheless.

Man, really tough call here. Both are good episodes -in fact, I think this is the first case of two strong episodes going head-to-head! However, I give the edge to TNG this week. It may not carry the same dramatic resonance as Progress, but it grabs your attention much quicker and doesn't let go.

Weekly Winner
TNG

Next Week:
TNG - Suspicions
DS9 - If Wishes Were Horses