View Single Post
Old May 12 2009, 08:12 AM   #1532
Alexis
Ensign

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Alexis
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

So, I've seen the new movie last week and after thinking about it for a few days I think I finally have an idea of what I think about it.

And to be honest, it's not a bad movie. In fact, it's a great roller-coaster ride of an action flick which I enjoyed enormously. It has Star Trek written all over and in many, many ways it is Star Trek, but at the same time it really isn't on some level. At least, for me it isn't.

I don't care much about whether the 1701 was built in space or in Iowa or whether Kirk can drive a Corvette or not, those are minor canon-nitpicks that just get in the way of good and solid story telling. I must admit I was a bit bothered with the Uhura-Spock relationship, but I think I can live with that. I was bothered with the destruction of Vulcan, but since it's all a new and altered Trek-universe, I think I can live with that. All in all, excellent reboot.

What I find really hard to swallow is the sort of cheesy time-travel/altered universe solution in order to keep it all in canon. I would've much preferred it if Abrams and his men would just have had the balls to throw old Trek out the cargo hold and do things completely anew. In the end we would probably have had two Treks happily co-existing at the same time in various media-formats. But messing up "canon-future" with the destruction of Romulus, sending Spock Prime back into this altered universe for good, those are the things that bother me; the fact that they had to go and mess up old Trek as well. Then again, maybe I'm being conservative here and still not quite ready to let go of "my" Star Trek and watch a new version of it, without Vulcan, with Kirk being a thrill-seeker instead of a risk-taker.

I don't know and that bothers me, because this is a great movie with a great many fan-moments, winks and nods to the stuff we grew up with and finally brings Trek to the big screen again, where it (partly) belongs. It just didn't have to be dumbed down or altered in the end. Telling the story of the young TOS crew could have been done terrifically without killing off George Kirk, Amanda or blowing up Vulcan.

In the end, I voted "above average" for what's really an excellent summer-popcorn-movie.