View Single Post
Old May 12 2009, 04:59 AM   #1524
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

dkehler wrote: View Post
Ovation wrote: View Post
dkehler wrote: View Post
I suggest to you that there was not any more character development in Star Trek than the other movies I mentioned. I suggest to you that you only think there was because the many, many hours of development that came before this movie, but don't really count because that was an alternative universe.
You can suggest all you want, but you would be wrong. I am not assessing the new movie's character development based on prior incarnations of Star Trek (films are more than a source of entertainment for me, they are a research interest and an ongoing element of my profession--I don't focus on genre films, except as cultural artefacts, but I have analyzed hundreds of films, including making note of character development. I feel quite confident about my statements regarding each of the three films in question here.).
Really? Care to provide a comparative analysis?
Not at this late hour (I'm procrastinating from my marking) but if you're willing to wait a few days while I finish up my administrative drudge work for this term, I'll gladly revisit the subject. If you don't wish to wait, then all I can say is that my shelf full of film theory and criticism books (worn with cracked spines), my graduate work on film and history and my ongoing use of film as a teaching tool make me more qualified than most (not all, but most) people I encounter with regards to judging various elements of films. For the moment, though, it's back to marking essays.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote