View Single Post
Old May 12 2009, 01:47 AM   #1484
dkehler
Fleet Captain

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Ovation wrote: View Post
dkehler wrote: View Post
indranee wrote: View Post
I love nuTrek, but hated Armageddon. ID4 is a guilty pleasure. I watch it furtively, alone, with microwaved popcorn. I even rewind the Brent Spiner death scene multiple times.

that satisfy you?
Yes. So what makes Star Trek better than those other two movies other than featuring characters that we "know" much better? I suggest to you there is little to no difference. And that's too bad.
The character development in Star Trek is much better than in either of the other two. Star Trek's plot is its weakest element, but that's hardly a new development for Trek movies (not an excuse, merely an observation). I enjoyed ID4 as a summer popcorn movie (much like I enjoyed Star Trek) but I found Star Trek a superior film (though certainly not perfect). As for Armageddon, I did not connect with any of the characters, so, consequently, I did not enjoy it all that much. I'd rewatch ID4 but it's unlikely I'd revisit Armageddon.
I suggest to you that there was not any more character development in Star Trek than the other movies I mentioned. I suggest to you that you only think there was because the many, many hours of development that came before this movie, but don't really count because that was an alternative universe.