View Single Post
Old May 11 2009, 11:54 PM   #1465
lawman
Commander

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

JoeD80 wrote: View Post
lawman wrote: View Post
It would have been easy enough to explain away Vulcan's and/or Earth's paucity of defenses.
Vulcan was clueless. They thought it was only natural phenomena. Earth didn't have defenses because Nero had the defense net codes after torturing Pike and they had already sent their ships to be destroyed earlier. Those points were mentioned in the movie. If you didn't like that story, that's up to you, but saying it was "lazy writing" is an odd argument because these points were actually explained.
JoeD80 wrote: View Post
Lazy writing specifically relates to things the viewers have to fill in for themselves. These points were *covered* in the film. You're using the wrong term if you just want more elaboration. The ships at Earth were sent away earlier. They were the ones destroyed right before the Enterprise jumped out of warp. The Admiral said they were the only ships at Earth and they were sending them all to investigate. Everybody else was at the Laurentian system. The Earth's defense net was compromised because Nero tortured Pike for the codes, which was *said in the film*.

It may not be the way that makes a lot of sense to some, and some may have written it differently, but it's *not* lazy writing if it's *covered in the film*.
So you're saying that you buy that the seven ships sent to Vulcan were the only ships near Earth, and they were all sent away? (I don't recall any dialogue to that effect, and it's risible either way.) And that individual starship captains (even without access to their computers) know codes that can not only get you past the Solar system's defensive sensors (that much I can swallow), but also turn off all Earth's defenses, beyond the possibility of override, including even (e.g.) independently piloted small fighters of the sort that could shoot down the drilling platform? All this poses no problem for you? And you thought it was all so obvious and sensible that it didn't need to be shown or even explained in any detail?

Really?

Trek Bob wrote: View Post
Im sorry, I agree with the "lazy writing" analysis. See, I think that the writers tried to jam too much back story into a short 2 hour film. Personally, I think that certain things did need a more elaborate set up and a much more in-depth development. For instance, if it is true that they had already sent their ships to destroy Earth's defenses, a quick 1 minute shot of those ships attacking Earth's defenses would have cleared that right up...

Remember, we're not bashing on the movie just to bash... we're doing it because we care and want the writers to fix it the next time around... All I ask is not to have my intelligence insulted by one of my favorite series, thats all.
Hear, hear.

The Great Meech wrote: View Post
Yes, there were problems--Urban's McCoy is a little too similar to DeForest Kelley's...
That struck you as a problem? I thought it was one of the best things about the movie.