View Single Post
Old May 11 2009, 11:34 PM   #1459
cultcross
Say my name...

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

adamisme wrote: View Post
Robert_T_April wrote: View Post
adamisme wrote: View Post
as a BIG Trek fan who had become jaded with Enterprise and Nemesis, i'm not sure how I felt about a reboot of Star Trek, but when I saw the 1st proper trailer I was delighted with the trailer it actually got me excited for the film. Then I saw the film itself and I wasn't disappointed, I thought it was the best Trek Film i'd seen since First Contact, had action,adventure,conflict,humour, everything needed for a Star Trek Film. Not sure how it will affect the future of the old series, but then it could be that despite this hiccup in the timeline, the original series now happens with slight differences such as it would be Vulcan 2.0 that they go to, to restore Spock after he dies etc
The fact that all of future Spock's memories were still intact says that the original timeline did happen. If those events didn't happen, the older Spock may not have existed, or may not have had any recollection of the timeline we all know happened...

It's confusing, but interesting nonetheless.
Time Travel gives me a headache The way I see it everything pre this film happened, its just the effect of Nero coming back in time to the point where Kirk was born changed everything after that. Future Spock wasn't affected because he was caught in the phenomenan that sent him back in time, so was outside time when the obvious changes that happened to his past happened, so he remains unaffected with memory of the original timeline that happened without Nero interfering and destroying Vulcan.

Okay anyone got an asprin
You've pretty much clocked it exactly (seewhutididthr?). The timeline changed at the moment of Nero's appearance in the 23rd Century. Spock Prime survived because of the magical TrekScience that means the people time travelling are unaffected by changing events (see: First Contact). Prior to that moment, the timeline preceded as seen in Enterprise. After it, it went entirely new direction.
To be honest, I can't see how some people aren't grasping this - I don't think the conversation on the bridge could have driven it home any harder if Spock had pulled down a projector screen and mapped it out.