View Single Post
Old May 11 2009, 09:31 PM   #24
Closet Trekkie
Ensign

Re: OMFG MASSIVE SPOLIERS: NeoTrek Engine Musings

Timo wrote: View Post
But is it? All these bowels might have been found inside the TOS ship - and, if we trust the computer graphics from ENT "In a Mirror, Darkly", the central parts of the engineering hull did indeed consist of massive scaffolding and piping like this.

Multiple cores/reactors is a possibility with the TOS setup, too. And the basic elements seem to be the same: internal power generation facility, external engines in nacelles, separate impulse engines, antimatter involved in the workings, a nondescript role for dilithium...

Timo Saloniemi
Well, it's not so much the scaffolding and piping that feel like the departure. It's that, from the shots inside engineering, there didn't seem to be any familiar underlying design to it all. I didn't see any significant component that I'd recognize as being part of a Trek-univese starship. I didn't see anything that looked like a central reactor or plasma conduit. Sure, there were a lot of pipes and tanks, but they all looked like supporting structure, not the equipment that performs the primary function.

Even if there were multiple cores, the objects being ejected out of the Enterprise looked like they were too small to be individual self-contained reactors. If they are, it's a significant departure from all the Trek tech I've seen before.

The design that's more familiar to me is a large, central reactor. Maybe there's a backup one too, but for the most part, there's a single big "thing" that's significant in size compared to its supporting plant hardware. Now it looks like we have a reactor cluster that, physically, is mostly support hardware. The individual reactors themselves are tiny by comparison. That's a pretty significant difference as far as core/reactor design goes.

The rest of it is familiar Trek design, but I don't remember them mentioning antimatter or dilithium. I really need to see this movie again. I can't wait for it to be out on blu-ray.