View Single Post
Old May 11 2009, 08:05 PM   #50
Dayton3
Admiral

Re: Does "The Doomsday Machine" Remastered Really Add To the Episode?

QuasarVM wrote: View Post
Dayton3 wrote: View Post
QuasarVM wrote: View Post

The Sci-Fi Channel already did that kind of "remaster" back in the 90's.

I like the CBS-D remaster, but I think the FX could have been more TOS looking -- or rather more 60's looking -- like Daren Dochterman's attempt at Doomsday Machine. I still would have added/changed things though here and there...
The Sci-fi Channel never remastered any Trek episodes.

The Sci-Fi Channel showed each original series episode over the course of a 90 minute time block so they could show the shows without syndication cuts.

The result was quite bizarre. With commercial breaks appearing in the oddest places.

In the case of "The Doomsday Machine" they cut to a final series of commercials as Sulu was doing his countdown of the Constellation plunging into the Planet Killer.

Um, yes...they did.

Granted they didn't redo the FX, but they went in and cleaned up the prints and all that. They made quite a big deal out of it at the time -- I don't see how you missed that point considering that was one of the big selling points of the broadcasts. They even had before and after shots on the commercials for it if memory serves.

This was back when they were running the short interviews during commercial breaks...
When I refer to remastering, I was referring to modifications to the content (in this case the FX) rather than clean up the prints.
Dayton3 is offline   Reply With Quote