View Single Post
Old May 11 2009, 02:20 AM   #24
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: Vertical Intermix Chamber and TMP Enterprise

SoM wrote: View Post
Praetor wrote: View Post
Well, if you're referring to the symmetrical warp governor from the NX-01, per the the Drex Files blog, the idea was that that had been obsoleted shortly before "The Cage" by improvements in the basic technology allowing them to natively generate symmetrical warp fields. Ergo, there's no way the E-refit or E-A should need one.
The governor itself was rendered obsolete, yes, but there's been some speculation that the crystal on the SWG is not the generator itself, but a deflection crystal because Doug also states that the NX-01's impulse system uses warp plasma for power. Therefore, the crystal setup might convert warp plasma for impulse use similar to what the refit's deflection crystal was said to do. I asked Doug, so let's see what he thinks.
Sure - I mean I was one of those speculating in that direction
D'oh. I forgot.

I still don't see how that means that the E-refit or E-A would have a SWG, though - even if the blue dome on the NX-E was an Impulse Deflection Crystal, it doesn't follow that the SWG assembly would be needed on the E-refit/E-A.
I agree. I just think they both happen to have the crystal that converts the warp plasma for the impulse engines, not the actual SWG itself. For TOS, I'd argue that they didn't see a need to have the warp and impulse system connected, but then for the refit they did. Then, with the modern driver coil, they didn't need it at all anymore.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote