View Single Post
Old May 10 2009, 09:49 AM   #1244
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

I honestly thought it was rather mediocre and I can't understand what all the fuss is about. Still, I'm impressed that they had the balls to damn canon and do something new. What's disappointing is that they had to justify it with technobabble (three times), and even though they've established that this is a clean slate it didn't take them very long to start making the same mistakes that bogged down the old franchise.

Also - red matter? Fuck off Abrams.

There were many bits that I liked, the cast were for the most part fantastic despite Eric Bana (who manages to make a shitter villain than Shinzon). I loved the art direction apart from the Romulan ship's interior, which was one of the stupidest designs I've ever seen (guard rails? the empire cutting corners now?). Chris Pine really evoked Kirk of old, Spock and Scotty were both brilliant and Karl Urban totally nailed McCoy. In fact I think Urban's performance was the best thing about the whole flick.

At best, this film is at least a good launching point for a new Star Trek. I hope someone (other than JJ) comes along and pulls a wrath of khan out of the bag. It made me excited for the future, even though this film in itself was a bit shit. A messianic resurrection of a dead franchise, inspiring awe and erections across the earth? Um, no. I don't get that at all. But it could have been a lot worse and I genuinely think that it can only get better from here.