View Single Post
Old May 10 2009, 05:31 AM   #1167
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

I just got back from seeing it.

Excellent. It was really good. Chris Pine was fantastic, Quinto did a good job, though a little different than the Spock I remembered. All the bit players were great, with McCoy being a standout.

Actually I thought the weakest part of the movie was the stuff used to "preserve canon", stuff like old Spock, and time travel and all this hoop-jumping to come up with an instory reason for the changes. That's the sort of shit I expect from incomprehensible Marvel comics not a movie that's supposed to 'reboot' the property. It didn't help that there was only the barest exposition about all that gobbledygook with no real depth given.

It's funny that we've actually seen a ton of stories like this in Trek, but this is one of the few, if only, times we see the story from the POV of the people in that time period.

Everything else was pretty awesome. The new Enterprise grew on me. I particularly like Scotty and Pike. Vulcan biting the dust was pretty awe inspiring. Very funny, and the pacing was just rip roaring.

It was just well done, and I'm so glad to be rid of the "keep everything as generic as possible, we can't damage the brand!!!" style of the Rick Berman years. Why is it that the later series or later movies can't bring a director's visual style, or have a cool different looking bridge or creative directorial touches? Seriously stuff like Insurrection and Enterprise and Voyager just feels like amateur hour compared to the energy and spirit of this movie.

Thumbs up. Way up. I can't wait to see it again.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote