View Single Post
Old May 10 2009, 04:54 AM   #1139
flcat
Fleet Captain

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
For the love of God, if Roddenberry wanted nothing else, he wanted us all to THINK!! This movie is the antithesis of everything he tried to do with Star Trek, and (sorry, Majel) not only would he not have approved of this stripmining of his brainchild, he would've done everything in his power to keep this thing from seeing the light of day (or, barring that, he'd have done like he did many times before, leak the script to undercut the thing).
Ummm...depending on who you read, all Roddenberry wanted to do was be a bigshot TV producer and make money. And if Harlan Ellison is to be believed, Roddenberry was basically a hack who was more than happy to take credit for things that worked in Trek and blame everyone else and their dog for things that didn't -- and I'm not trying to imply that Ellison doesn't have his own image-concious axe to grind in all this, either.
But I think even you would have to admit that for the two seasons Roddenberry had a heavy hand in TNG, it was awful.

Personally, I think as long as his name was on it, Roddenberry would be perfectly happy to watch this new film rake in the moolah...mindless action or not.

That said, I think a lot of your points are valid. This movie was basically Star Wars set in the Trek universe, but it was an entertaining movie...it did have a lot of energy, and a lot of people (especially young people) who wouldn't be caught DEAD admitting to watching anything Trek-related are loving it.

I think everyone gets that hardcore fans like you (in baseball they're called purists), don't like the idea of rebooting the franchise. A lot of people felt that way when Battlestar Galactica was rebooted too. You let everyone know you didn't like it. You listed your reasons. In fact, I happen to be in agreement with you on several of them. Fine. However, no need to continually throw a wet blanket on those who enjoyed the new movie. They're allowed. Unless you can pull a "Nero" and go back in time and do something that will prevent J.J. Abrams from ever getting into the entertainment industry, what's done is done.

My advise, quit ranting...pull out your DVDs of TOS and enjoy "real" Trek to your hearts' content.

Last edited by flcat; May 10 2009 at 05:04 AM.
flcat is offline   Reply With Quote