View Single Post
Old May 9 2009, 10:42 PM   #37
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Re: ENT Reference in Star Trek XI? - SPOILERS

chrinFinity wrote: View Post
Count Zero wrote: View Post
...this bio mentions him becoming Chief-of-Staff before being an ambassador, so he would be an admiral in that timeline, too. (It's not canon, though.)
Are you sure? it was quite readable on screen in HD.
I remember reading that the people involved with the show said themselves it's not canon, and the last line that says Archer died after seein the NCC 1701's launch wasn't even seen on screen.

Ethros wrote: View Post
Count Zero wrote: View Post
Then again, it might have been a totally different guy. It was just a nod to those who would be able to associate something with it without distracting those who never watched ENT.
I prefer to think it really was our Archer. It's a nice nod to us ENT fans. I'm content with it.
Its kinda like the reference in the film to the planet called "Delta Vega", which is in completely the wrong part of space as it should be. The writers of the film even admitted this-
http://trekmovie.com/2009/04/30/inte...alex-kurtzman/
For the Trek fans, this film includes many little references. For example you have Kirk dropped off on the planet Delta Vega, which was seen in second Star Trek pilot. It is a cool reference, but didn’t you also fudge canon by ignoring that Delta Vega was way out next to the galactic barrier.

Orci: True. Yeah we did. We moved the planet to suit our purposes. The familiarity of the name seemed more important as an Easter egg, than a new name with no importance.
That's just lazy to me, and a seriously shitty "nod". What's the point of doing it if it's totally wrong and makes no sense?
They might as well have had a Kazon walking about the Enterprise in the film. That would have been a "nod" to the Voyager fans, even though it makes no logical sense at all, but hey who cares right?

Ah, Manny Coto...
And the name 'Delta Vega' sounds so unique that there can be only one in the whole galaxy, right?
They could have named that planet everything but decided to name it Delta Vega as a homage to the planet Gary Mitchell got marooned on. It's not supposed to be the same planet. It's just name-dropping to make the old Trek fans happy because they get the insider reference.
It's a funny thing, though, that TOS was quite an abstract show (dealing with a specific moral question or idea without caring whether the setting was realistic or in continuity, e.g. in "The Enemy Within" they conveniently forget about their shuttles to rescue their crew from the surface) but created a fan base that takes everything very literally and obsesses about minute continuity details. But I digress.
Count Zero is offline   Reply With Quote