View Single Post
Old May 9 2009, 09:26 PM   #129
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Re: Another take on the Original Enterprise...

Shaw wrote: View Post
Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post
So, nobody has any better info on the "landing light" colors??? C'mon, I need help here!
There are lots of shots, but most have two on one side dark (most likely a burnt out bulb). The best shots I know of before the bulb burnt out can be found in the closing minutes of "The Alternative Factor" (shots can be seen here).

It looks like red-red-green-red-red to me in those shots, but in some others shots the green appears blue.

If we are talking about matching the model itself, red-amber-green-amber-red (from images of the last major restoration by Ed Miarecki).
Thanks, David!

I was unable to pull anything better than that from my DVD set, too...

Actually, I think that Miarecki probably got the intent right. But I was sure that at some point I'd seen "purple" or "blue" in there, as you say.

All other evidence being absent, I think I'm going to think of this as being patterned off of contemporary aviation patterns... so if you're outside of the proper "glide slope" the red lamps are lit... if you're on the ragged edge, the yellow/amber ones are lit, and if you're on the correct glide slope, the green one would be lit. Of course, that means that they should normally not be lit at all.... except when a shuttle is landing. Still... I think I like that idea.

Now... regarding Jefferies Tubes.

The Enterprise had only one Jefferies Tube set, which was evidently intended to represent multiple locations throughout the ship. In my take, there will be multiple versions of this, including vertical and horizontal ones. However, there are multiple "slanted" tubes on the ship as well. At least one per nacelle pylon (I'm assuming no more than that, but could change my mind), plus FOUR through the secondary hull and through the dorsal. I don't need to explain where the pylon tubes would be, but here are the dorsal ones:

They basically run through the keel structural members, which are just generally packed (nearly solid) with all variety of major utility plumbing and wiring.

At the disconnect point, on the dorsal upper surface, you can more clearly see how these tubes run through. The inset (hollow) areas around each tube would actually be jam-packed with cables and tubing, but I didn't feel it was necessary to model that... gotta draw the line someplace!

I'm reasonably comfortable with the dorsal interface I've got here. Power/engineering systems go up the trailing edge, data/communication/life-support connections are on the leading edge.

The lift tube pass through is obvious. But you can also see the two ladderways further aft (complete with the little triangular ladders inside each). Each of those (lift tube and ladder tubes) will have sliding-pocket-door type hatches to seal them off in the case of disconnection. This means a short interruption in the ladder, but only a couple of rungs... and I think that can be taken care of by having the primary-hull-side ladders retract upwards at separation.

Externally, well... there are pads, which I think are obvious, and the entire top section is essentially a single massive plate with three perforated rails. There are pins which pass through these rails (and their matching features on the primary hull side). At separation, explosive charges eject the pins laterally (steered very slightly downwards to avoid hitting the primary hull underside, of course) This gives me a very robust interface, which takes up very little space, and can be separated in case of an emergency (while requiring a drydock to reattach). And I can incorporate as much structure inside the primary hull as I need to ensure robustness... separate from this.

I still think that this is the weak point of the design, but I'm happier with my solution than I thought I was likely to be. I think this could actually WORK (given sufficient structure inside the dish side, obviously!)