View Single Post
Old May 9 2009, 12:32 PM   #945
Dookie
Lieutenant

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Whoah, what a ride. Two hours flew by in no time and I really had to take a deep breath once I was out of the cinema. Great pacing, great acting, except Chris Helmsworth, whom I found a little bit lacklustre...

Yes, the story was contrived and far-fetched, but it served the purpose of establishing the new continuity. Finally I can actually care and worry about trek characters again. Voyager and Enterprise established the big red reset button so well that you knew in the end it wouldn't matter anyway.

Visually...well, Trek has never looked that good on the silver screen. Beautiful work on ILMs part. The opening shot on the Kelvin is just pure dead brilliant, and no ship or explosion looked fakey to me. Even that big lobster (shrimp creole, anyone ?) looked better than I expected. And seriously, when was the last time we really had a monster of some sort on Star Trek. The Mugatu ? Great one, loved it.

Contradictions in regard to the original series or established canon didn't bother me at all, because the places were the writers bent canon rules a little bit it served a good purpose : To tell an interesting story.

I also really liked the fact that the "general audience", the "casaul moviegoers", really not only liked the film, but really got into it, they were in for the ride. So, to all the hundreds of people involved in bringin Star Trek back again : Mission accomplished !
Dookie is offline   Reply With Quote