View Single Post
Old May 9 2009, 03:40 AM   #836
dkehler
Fleet Captain

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Saw it last night. I don't know if it's because of my own overly high expectations because of the incredibly positive buzz or whether I'm just an old, sad fanboy, but the only word that comes to mind is: DISAPPOINTMENT.

Mind you, there is a lot to like in the movie, including pretty much all of the characters we know and love as well as plenty of humour, action and eye-popping special effects. But the plot, no matter how much I try not to nitpick, is an absolute disaster.

Where to begin?

1. Nero and his crew sat around for 25 years? Really? (And yes, I know of the Klingon prison planet subplot that got cut, but that's not in the movie, so it doesn't count, but even if it was, it opens up another can of worms such as: How did he get his ship back? Etc.)

2. He couldn't make old Spock watch the destruction of Vulcan on a viewscreen or something? Then you would have the added bonus of getting to torture him afterwards or at least actually see the devastation of the man that you've waited 25 years for.

3. "Delta Vega" must be awfully close to Vulcan. At least they could have called it something else.

4. If Scotty can beam someone millions of miles away, it certainly makes starship travel a lot less necessary. A lot faster as well.

5. Kirk becomes the captain after just one mission for the Enterprise? So much for the years that Capt. Pike had her, yet all of the Kirk era crewmembers are already in place even though he's taking command of the ship many years earlier in this timeline.

In short, it's like the writers brainstorm for hours on what cool set piece we can dream up, but five minutes on the stuff in between. I also would have liked to see something a little more heartfelt when old Spock, however improbably, meets his long lost best friend. Oh, sure, he says, "I have been and always shall be your friend," but it didn't somehow seem genuine to me. Everything was just rush, rush, rush to the next action sequence.

I give it a very generous 7/10.