View Single Post
Old May 9 2009, 03:36 AM   #831
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

The movie had all the "social commentary" it needed.

Star Trek was a smart adventure with great characters forty years ago - the much-vaunted "social commentary" was a frequent - not constant - aspect of the storytelling, not the raison d'etre of the original series. These new folks recognize that, thank god, and concentrated on what made TOS so great - but then, their assignment from the studio was no longer to pander to the "fanbase."

Saw it again this evening in the same theater as last night - very different experience. The place was packed. A lot of teens in groups and young couples, quite a few folks in their thirties and forties (looked like) and older couples as well - it's a Friday night and this is a downtown shopping district, so I guess that's about what you'd expect for a film opening.

People were really into the whole thing, reacting to the trailers (no surprise, "Terminator Salvation" and "Transformers II" look to be the most popular, with least noticable reaction to "G.I. Joe" and "Night At The Museum II" ). Throughout the movie folks responded pretty much as one imagines the filmmakers intended, particularly with respect to laughing at all the jokes. Cheering for the characters, applause - applause! - at the first appearence of the Enterprise. Oh, the Academy scenes - Uhura's dorm and particularly the Kobyashi Maru - got a lot of reaction, and when the camera panned to reveal Spock as the author of the test people really laughed. Sustained applause when the ship went to warp at the end and the first end-title cards appeared.

Personally, I love the "Shatner walk/posture" thing that Pine does when Kirk is first revealed in the command gold.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote