View Single Post
Old May 9 2009, 12:37 AM   #758
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

seeing a lot of old familar faces around here..

galleywest wrote: View Post
thesadpanda wrote: View Post
galleywest wrote: View Post
... now I'm left with a Star Trek universe in which my beloved spin-off either won't happen or will be so different that I may wish it hadn't.
This perspective always mystifies me. I've heard it a lot recently since I'm a Spider-Man fan too and there was just a big continuity change in that universe too.

Star Trek episodes are just stories -- they were always fictional, they never really happened at all. Now, Nero's time travel erased some of the events of TNG in the FICTIONAL universe, but it's not as if the reruns and DVDs are going to disappear into thin air. You can still watch them an enjoy them just like you did before.
FICTION?! WHAT?! Of course we all know this. I don't particularly like this aspect of the fictional storyline which erases another part of the fictional storyline that I enjoyed. How is that mystifying?

I'm not trying to belittle your feelings. I can see you feel bad about this. I just don't understand why it seem so hard to like the new Star Trek universe and keep loving the old one too. Why does it have to be an either-or choice?
Why do I have to like both? Or enjoy both? I never said it had to be either/or. All I've said, and I'll say it again, is that the alternate universe saddens me because in it, my favorite spin-off of Trek will be seriously altered or gone. And AGAIN--yes, I know it's still the same in the original ST universe. But it doesn't change that feeling of disappointment.

And for the record, I did enjoy the movie. And (again, again) I see why they did it this way, agree with what they did in the sense of reviving the franchise as a whole, and look forward to the next installment. But I'm still sad about the above points.

i guess this is one of the great agree to disagree.
to me nothing is wiped out.
both realities will co exist.
they are not dropping all the books for instance based on classic trek for instance.

after thinking some stuff over one quibble is i might would have liked for the monster kirk stuff to either be shorter or go away and have a little more in there like..
more abot kirks recent back ground..
more of the background stuff from countdown.