View Single Post
Old May 9 2009, 12:14 AM   #1149
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

Scorpion, Part 2 (***)

The episode was better than I remembered it, but it certainly wasn't as good as the first part. I actually think that Seven detracted from the episode, I think that focusing on one Borg rather than the entire collective was a bad idea, it is the same problem that the Borg Queen represents.

The core of this episode is Chakotay disobeying Janeway's orders, this is definitely his finest hour. Janeway can't seem to see the wood for the trees, she seems to be so proud of her idea of allying with the Borg that she cannot accept that it is a bad idea, proven by Seven attempting to take control of the ship once 8472 is defeated. It is great to see Chuckles show some initiative for once.

8472 was dealt with far too quickly, Voyager fires some torpedoes and suddenly their entire fleet goes scuttling back to fluidic space. This may shock you, but I would have preferred an arc which continued this story over several episodes, as it is the resolution to the conflict seems way too quick and Voyager almost appears to be out of Borg space by episode's end.

This second part is the reason why I don't consider Scorpion to be on the same level as BOBW. In that episode Michael Piller wrote himself into a corner thinking some other sucker would sort it out, and when he ended up being that sucker he managed to write his way out and delivered a second part almost as awesome as the first. With Scorpion Braga and Menosky wrote themselves into an epic confrontation with multiple avenues to explore, and they took a route that wasn't as satisfying as I would have liked.