View Single Post
Old May 8 2009, 09:07 PM   #732
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

I gave it an excellent.

I went to see Wolverine last night, with low expectations, thus enjoying it a lot more than I expected to. I went to see ST today,with high expectations - thus, enjoying it as much as I hoped to.

Loved the cast, loved the humour, loved the action, loved the direction, loved the look of it, loved touches like silence for the explosions in space, thought the actor as George Kirk did as much in those few minutes with his character as Linus Roache did as Thomas Wayne in Batman Begins (and I think Roache was superb in BB), loved seeing a Trek movie that was exciting, fun and must-see, for the first time in years.

My wife went with me, the first time I've dragged her to a Trek movie since First Contact. She fell asleep during that but enjoyed this one. Say no more?

I would have some criticisms. The plot was far from original, if a clever way of rebooting while acknowledging the original continuity. Bana was a bit under-used. Scotty played a bit too much for laughs. Not enough old Spock and he served a bit too much to give exposition. The ending was a bit cliched, but having said that, the action was impressive.

But for all those criticisms, it was great to see Kirk and Spock acting as a team, it was great to see Nimoy again (and is Spock going to remain in the 23rd century or go back to the 24th?). A star is born in Pine, Greenwood was a dignified Pike (and we might see more of him too?) and I think I preferred Yelchin's Chekov to Koenigs!

Roll on the sequel!