View Single Post
Old May 7 2009, 04:48 PM   #225
The Super Brando
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Pink skinned Vulcans Y'know, JJ, there was a reason they painted Nimoy yellow way back when, and it's because of that green Vulcan blood.
I agree. However, it's such a minor thing that it didn't deter me from enjoying the film at all. I mean, c'mon, it's a tiny nitpick.

The Kelvin 800 people made it off, after getting the crap kicked out it, which killed how many? And this is supposed to be a pre-TOS ship? Sorry, but that bucket reeked more of TNG, both in capacity and in the crew complement, which apparently included families, another TNG contrivance that didn't make it past "Generations" (the Enterprise-E doesn't have families on board). The interiors also indicated a much more
massive ship, on the order of a Galaxy class starship.
I think this is because the new Star Trek movie is a completely separate movie from TOS. The reason the Kelvin is bigger and different from TOS ships and all is because it's not pre-TOS. Despite the lip-service from JJ and the writers, this movie's universe doesn't diverge from the old universe at the Kelvin attack, because this movie's universe was never the same as the old one.

I might be in the minority here, but it's pretty obvious this didn't take place before TOS and then it diverged, it was always a separate universe.

And my complaint about Spock still remains: He knows how to achieve a time warp, and he knows precisely what happened when, why it happened, and how to circumvent those events. So why doesn't he get a ship, do a few time jumps, and fix everything that got screwed up? He could not only restore the timeline, but finally cement a lasting peace between the Romulan Empire and the Federation.

So why doesn't he do this?
Spock has no time-travel capability at all. The only reason he was thrown through time in the first place was because he was accidentally sucked into an accidentally created unstable time/blackhole.

The choice of "Crap on a stick" isn't available, so I voted "Poor".
I'm actually kind of glad you didn't like it. We all know Star Trek has some crazy fans. But in order for it to move forward and increase in quality then it'll have to keep what's good from the past incarnation, while trying new and different things and separating from some of the ridiculous and retarded aspects. And that is unavoidabley going to upset the anals. So the fact that you are upset I think is a good sign for Star Trek.