View Single Post
Old May 7 2009, 01:22 PM   #211
Evil_Kirkneivel
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

I saw the movie earlier today in Australia (my full review is here). I've been a Trek fan since about 1970, so that gives you an idea of how much of a fan I am and my approximate age.

The movie was a full-blown action film. I didn't particularly like the way the action scenes were filmed myself - too dark and muddled for my taste - but the character interaction was beautiful to watch. I felt like I was watching a true early history of Kirk, Spock, and the other crewmembers. Their core personalities were intact, which is what is important to me. Orci's Trekker status must have helped with this - he obviously knows his stuff.

Overall, I felt it had enough emotional character-based scene moments for the long-time Trek fans who are not obsessed with the details of ships and timelines (not that there's anything wrong with that), while appealing to younger viewers with its youthful cast and moments of pure thought-free action.

So, for me, I think it has rejuvenated the franchise and will assure that a younger audience will embrace Trek. Personally, I think that's a good thing. Your mileage may vary.