View Single Post
Old May 7 2009, 10:51 AM   #196
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

I'll go back and read the rest of the thread in a moment (I already know some of what I'm going to see, of course), but I have to say I enjoyed the hell out of this movie.

Is it perfect? Of course not.

Is it Star Trek? Yes.

The opening sequence is quite brilliant and the movie only improves from there. I was thoroughly engaged and engrossed. Almost everyone worked for me, acting-wise and as the character I've known and enjoyed for all these years.

Acting / casting: I have some quibbles (see below). Pine was terrific. Quinto absolutely nailed Spock. I'd expected him to be good, but not that good. Saldana was a terrific Uhura. Almost everyone else did pretty well with what they were given. On the whole I think all involved did well.

Plot: Better than I'd expected. I suppose in some ways it was recycled from stuff we've all seen in and outside Trek but it worked pretty damned well. No blatant holes evidenced themselves on first viewing.

The effects were pretty good, I suppose. Quite frankly they're about the last reason I watch a movie and unless they're utterly godawful I tend to pay attention to characters, plot and the like first and foremost. Having said that the movie looked damned good.

Really, really enjoyed the score.

Quibbles: Ben Cross was simply awful. Granted, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool fan of Sarek and Mark Lenard, but even so for mine Cross completely lacked any sort of gravitas and presence. That was my single biggest disappointment. Whoever it was who played Chekov (no, I haven't kept up with every detail ) overdid the "Russian" accent. I don't completely buy Urban as McCoy (but McCoy is my favourite ever Trek character and DeForest Kelley ruled, so I willingly admit that was pretty much a given). I'd dreaded Winona Ryder as Amanda and I'm glad her part was so brief. They're my main issues at this juncture; maybe subsequent viewings (of which there will be a few) will reveal others. Or not.

(Nimoy looked ancient, though. )

Basically, after the past couple of years of anticipation, of learning bits and pieces about the movie, of reading this forum , I wasn't disappointed. On the contrary, I genuinely enjoyed this movie. I hope it succeeds and this group gets the opportunity to boldy go a few more times.

And the dedication at the end brought tears to my eyes. A really classy touch.